Monday, September 9, 2013

Slow and Steady.

Things continue to get better with Elder Reese, and we're both excited to keep things pickin up.
 
I think I forgot to mention last week that we had Zone Conference which Stanley G. Ellis attended. It was an excellent conference. One thing that our Misison President said really struck me. He said, "I get e-mails all the time from missoinaries who say that they're not good enough; that they feel inadequate and aren't measuring up to what they should be... Who do you think you are?! Of course you're not good enough! If we were good enough, we wouldn't need the atonement. Stop worrying about how you're not good enough, and start relying on the Savior. Do what you can, and He will make up the rest."
I really liked that. It wasn't something that you hear very often, but it's so true! We're promised that if we are trying out best the Lord will help us out, and even if we're struggling with some things, as long as we turn to him he will help our weaknesses become strengths.
 
This week, we had the opportunity to teach an Indian woman named Amrutha. She had requested a Bible from mormon.org, but we don't usually have those stocked, so it took a while to get some. At first she wasn't interested, and couldn't even remember orderingthe Bible, but as we were leaving, she stopped us and asked us what our beliefs are. We took the opportunity to explain the Restoration of the Gospel and the role of the Book of Mormon. She had a few questions and we answered them like champs. She wouldn't take a Book of Mormon, but she said she would pray about Joseph Smith and ask God if he was a prophet. I don't know if that will go anywhere, but it was an interesting experience nonetheless. She goes to some big ol' Christian church downtown and didn't seem too amped up about learning new things. It's difficult to teach people who become fixated on one or two scriptures and refuse to learn anything new. I'm blessed to have been taught to increase my learning and, like Paul taught, to seek after anything that is virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy. What a testimony builder it is to me that we are taught to question and to seek answers for ourselves instead of being told what to believe without pondering.
 
On a lighter note, the weather has been pretty dang hot. I've had a few days now where I've had to change my shirt halfway through the day. Suit coat season is coming up, and I'm really hoping that the weather cools down or I might burst into flames.
 
The Church put on a huuuge Emergency Preparedness fair this weekend, and we were asked to "help set up" which turned into "help set up and then help with everything else you can" We were hoping to get to talk to a few people but we ended up stuffing hot dogs in bags instead. We also missed the "National Championship Squirrel Cook-off" becasue we were occupied with the hot dogs. I was hoping to get a nice exotic experience down here in the South, but it looks like it'll have to wait. Elder Reese has had roadkill racoon, so maybe I'll get lucky too.
 
Love you guys, and hope you're doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment