Monday, September 9, 2013

What? It's been a month?

I learned a very important and very testimony building lesson this week.

On Monday, I think it was, I was feeling super good about my mission. I have a sweet companion, I love my area, the weather was great, and I just felt so blessed. I was telling the Lord this in my prayers when a talk from last conference popped in my head. I just looked it up, it's titled, "Mountains to Climb" by President Eyring. For those of you who don't remember, or don't want to be torn away from my incredibly awesome letter, President Eyring starts off the talk with a super duper idea. Basically, it's "If you feel super blessed, pray for trials to bring you closer to God and strengthen your character."
1. God answers prayers. 
2. He answers some prayers very quickly. 
3. Sometimes they're unexpected answers
4. DO NOT pray for trials.

TO THE WORK!
The Powers are still the main focus of ours. Their youngest, Damian, who is 4, was taken ill last week. We got a text from Kim at about three in the morning cancelling our appointment because they were taking Damian to the hospital. We went over the next evening to see how they were doing, and to entertain the kids that were there. We gave piggy back rides to Lexi (12) and Lily (9) and played "chair tag". We also had chair races. Some guy who I think was homeless got mad at us and said, "I don't think those chairs aren't meant for that, you know". I really wanted to say, "Well I don't think that little space behind those other chairs on the floor is meant for sleeping." But instead I just said, "Oh I dunno about that, these things are pretty speedy." and then told the girls we needed to be quieter. I'm so benevolent and grown up.
The next morning  (Saturday) we stopped by again. As we were walking towards the room, we spotted our ward mission leader, Fred Fredlund, who is a nurse there and said hello.
"Make sure you guys suit up before you go in the Powers' room," he cautioned, "Damian's got Rotavirus and it's super contagious."
"Well good thing we spent like three hours with them last night." we responded. 
"The nurses last night didn't make you put on gowns or gloves and masks or anything?"
"No."
"Oh...well be careful today."
So we spent a lot of time outside the room on Saturday and washed our hands a lot. We also played Monopoly. Lily got tired about halfway through even though she was winning and Elder Beddes gave her like 1800 dollars and landed on her spots on purpose. Then she quit. I laughed.  Elder Beddes lamented over the "Free pass to land on Lily's spot" he traded a property for. Then I lost. Park Place and Boardwalk aren't worth it. We went over to their house yesterday too and now Lily is sick. We are washing our hands a lot, and have now added "Rotavirus!" to our repertoire of inside jokes.
Most of our other efforts have been spent with less actives because it is too cold for outside service and we haven't had a ton of luck getting new investigators. We visited two people in assisted living homes who are convinced everyone is either poisoning them or taking all of their money and it made me not want to be old.
All in all, it's been a pretty dang good week. We got to do service that included playing Monopoly, and we taught some good lessons to people and a less active family we taught came to church! Oh we also taught in Zone Teaching. I saw Elder iPad there. He was drinking from a big jug of Welch's grape juice. Somebody asked him how he could afford to just chug a thing of grape juice.

"It's called asking my mom for five bucks." He chuckled.

I reminded him that he owes me twenty dollars and resisted the urge to stab him.

Love and hugs (handshakes for the sisters),Elder Christopher Drake
"It's so hot! Milk was a bad choice!"

No comments:

Post a Comment