Monday, September 9, 2013

Always Low Prices. Always.

Hello family!

So, Bentonville is basically like a little Provo. It's really absurd. Apparently Wal-Mart recruits very heavily from BYU. The ward I am serving in now was just split a few weeks ago, and when I went on Sunday, we still had more people than we ever did in Harrison! It's crazy! I went from the geographically largest area in the mission with minuscule attendance, to one of the geographically smallest areas in the mission with incredible attendance. It brings to mind that talk given by President Uchtdorf in October 2012, "The Joy of the Priesthood" where he compares flying a Piper Cub to flying an F-18 fighter jet. I am going to miss a lot of the people and a whole bunch of other stuff about Harrison, but I am very grateful to be here. 

My new companion is Elder Reese, and he is great. He's from New Jersey, so we've got the whole East and West Coast thing going. The area has been going a little slow, and we're both looking forward to trying to find ways to pick it back up again. We don't have a ton of investigators, but there are a few people here that we are teaching that seem to have a lot of potential, which is exciting. 

Hm, stories. Let's see what's happened so far. We've spent a good amount of time cleaning the apartment and trying to de-clutter it. Apparently it's been a missionary apartment for 20 or so years, so there is a lot of clutter. We have stacks and stacks of old pamphlets that we don't even use anymore, but at the same time we don't want to get rid of them because they're church stuff! What if we need them one day?! Plus, I feel bad throwing stuff with Jesus on it away. Part of me just wants to box it up and send it to the mission home and let them decide what to do with it. 

On...Saturday, I think, we went to the Wal-Mart museum real quick on our way back from an appointment. There's supposedly somebody there that we are trying to teach, but she ended up not being there so we just walked through real quick. They've got some neat stuff in there, I'll have to tell you guys about it when we go through for realsies. 

Bentonville is also a bike area, which presents a few challenges. Most of those challenges are that my butt and my legs are sore, but that goes away with time. Oh and the helmet makes my hair look all dumb and gross. Such is the life of a bike missionary though. It's a shame I have to keep a part in my hair, or I would just shave it. All well. 

We haven't had a ton of opportunity to teach, as people have been a little flaky and it's harder to get a ton of stuff done when you're on a bike. We did get a solid lesson in with a lady last night though, and I was pretty pleased with how she accepted it. It's tough getting used to the teaching style of your companion and trying to adapt, but we'll get there. 

That's about all I have for this week, I love you guys! 

Oh, yeah, this is my new address so you can send me lots of letters:

900 NW A St. Apt. A
Bentonville, AR 72712

It looks weird, but it reads, "900 northwest a street" I was confused at all the letters at first but hey, whatever works. I'm not a city planner. 

Love you!

Elder Christopher Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment