Monday, September 9, 2013

Sick Week!



Being sick on the mission is no bueno. I got a gross head cold on Tuesday that was no fun to deal with for the next few days. Luckily, my wonderful mother stocked me up with a whole bunch of medicine that helped a ton. I found out that the best combination I had was Mucinex syrup (has more acetaminophen than NyQuil) and ZzQuil (which has no acetaminasdfnasdfnphen, but good sleepy stuff) if you have a stuffy nose. I slept like a champ on Wednesday night. Also, I made my own recipe for delicious yummy sore throat remedy. I'll give it to you guys because it's so great.
Elder Drake's Yummy Honey Lemony Goodness Cough Remedy:
1 Slice of Fresh lemon
1 mug
Enough water to fill the mug
Some honey

Squeeze the lemon into the mug, and drop the lemon in to the bottom. Fill the mug with water. Microwave the lemon water for a 45 seconds to a minute. Take the mug out of the microwave and put some honey in it. Stir it all up and let it cool for a few minutes, but don't let it get too cold. If you let it get cold, it won't help your throat. 
I should be a cook or something. It was actually yummy enough to make me want to enjoy the goodness even when I'm not sick! Luckily I got better pretty quick, and am enjoying being much healthier now.
Now about missionary work!
This week was good. Long but good. As far as missionary work goes, it was a little slower than I would like, but enjoyable nonetheless. We taught Johnathan, who was just as receptive and open minded as always. We taught the Plan of Happiness that God has for us. He didn't have very many questions, and he seemed to think it made sense. Which is good, because it does. How can you not agree with the fact that God loves families and wants us all to have the opportunity to be with them forever?
We taught a few other lessons, but we did a ton of service this week. We helped a member move back into the ward from Memphis, and helped another woman move some furniture. We're doing some more moving this week and it will be a lot of work, but I look forward to it!
We're trying to get a few new investigators, which is hard around here, but we had a positive experience with one man. He was a referral from somebody that talked to Elder Beddes recently. We show up at his door and there's a nice big "Mountain Meadows Massacre Memorial" sticker on his door. Harrison has a monument to the event in the town square. We knocked and he came out and talked to us for a bit. He was surprisingly kind and open, and went back inside to grab a book he'd picked up for a friend who is in our ward. The book was, "Jesus Christ Message to all Nations" by Warren Jeffs. Wonderful. He was having dinner so we couldn't talk for very long, but we'll have some interesting things to talk about when we go back, and a lot to set straight.
The weather here is getting much nicer though. Last night we walked to a part-member's house to teach a lesson. It was beautiful. I'll never get tired of walking out the door to a warm evening as the sun is setting. It reaffirmed to me how much of a night person I am, and made me sad that I couldn't stay out longer.
Oh! Funny story to tell. This Sunday at church, we sat in front of the Dickeys. Brother dickey is from southern Texas and has a super heavy accent. Like straight out of a movie. Nice thick lazy drawl that just makes you happy. After Elder Beddes and I helped pass the sacrament, we returned to our seats and after the first speaker there was an intermediate hymn, "There is Sunshine in My Soul Today" I think that song is now one of my favorites thanks to the wonderful southern twist Brother Dickey put on it.
"There is suuunshaan in ma souul todaaayyyee,
Mooore glooreeeuhhs and braaaaght."
It was better than that guy who sits in the back pew and sings as loud as he possibly can. You know the guy. He makes you laugh because he wants everybody to know how good he is. But Brother Dickey was better because he wasn't loud, but just super southerny. It made my day. Elder Beddes and I had a really hard time not giggling. Then Elder Beddes decided to try and sing like him too. I almost had to leave the chapel because I couldn't stop giggling.
People here are gerat. I love it. I hope that I get to stay here at the end of this transfer. I wish you all well and look forward to hearing from you!

Love,
Elder Christopher Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment