Monday, September 9, 2013

Another Transfer Almost Over

It's been four weeks already and transfer calls are this weekend.

Weird.
Not a whole ton to report on this week, unfortunately. The broadcast last night was ery informative and enjoyable. I'm looking forward to the new modes of missionary work. It's going to be weird phasing back to technology. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, and I'm pretty sure all of the people in this area are old so I'm not sure how much facebook is going to help. Maybe it will help us find the young people that are never around or something. Anyway, it's going to be interesting and I'm excited.
Elder Aubry and I have been having a pretty good time, but we have been having a hard time filling up our days. Since our miles are so strict and our area is so large and rural, it makes it very hard to get out past a mile or two radius. It's also very hilly, and there are rarely shoulders or sidewalks so biking is always an adventure for suresies. Especially when we bike up a particularly steep hill and then an old person gets behind us and drives reeeealllly sloooow. I'm pretty sure our existence startles the old folks here. They may not remember the days when bikes existed. My guess is they think we're witches or something. After a few minutes of them slowly driving behind us, we stop (on the hill) and hop over to the tall weeds on the side of the road so they can pass. At this point, I think that they assume we are planning to cast evil spells on them so they zoom away. Heaven forbid we drive AROUND somebody on a bike.
The weather here has been really hot. Well, not as much hot as humid. Poor Elder Aubry sweats more than pretty much anybody I've seen so he gets pretty miserable. One day we did service at the thrift store and when we got there he bought a new shirt because he thought bringing basically only black polos and heavy jeans on a mission to the south would be a good idea. I also picked up a sweet shirt because I couldn't resist and the nice ladies said I could have it.
This week we had a super awesome lesson with Johnathan. We saw him somewhere around three times, and each time he was more and more excited about the Gospel and church and all that jazz. On Thursday, we went over with a member who was baptized about a year ago and is going to the temple with his wife soon. He did an awesome job, and we taught "The Doctrine of Christ" which in short is: Faith in Jesus Christ, Repentance, Baptism, Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End. Basically what Christ taught during his earthly ministry. After the lesson he was really excited to go to church with us, and even wanted to go early. It was awesome.
Then he didn't answer his phone and wasn't home on Sunday.
Such is the life of a missionary.
Elder Aubry was a grumpy gus for a good hour and a half or so. I felt kind of bad for him, but it was also kind of funny.

Welp, I love you all! Please don't send anything to the Harrison address after Friday or Saturday in case I am transferred, which seems unlikely.
Yours, 
Elder Christopher Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment