Monday, September 9, 2013

23 More Fast Sundays to Go!

BREAKING NEWS! (wow look at all that formatting!)

Missionaries are now authorized to e-mail anybody! I'm not sure how I feel about that, but not everybody needs to know, right? Letters are more fun anyway. That being said, whoever wishes to get my weekly emails directly, can let me know. 
So! 
Week 2. AKA Draama Bomb!

So Elder Adams got an iPad. He claims to have it authorized by our Mission President for some separation anxiety issues, which lead to a severe lack of sleep. It's stress relief or something. 

Well, I sent my mission president a quick e-mail on Saturday just to express some concerns that I had. I mentioned the iPad, as it was the reason we were at the Library. Today I received a response saying, "iPads are not authorized at any time. Period." So this will be fun. I replied with some more details and hopefully he will call soon, just in case there was some mistake, which I doubt there was. I might paper-cut him to death with the missionary handbook. 

He was also sick. I think I tell Mom and Dad all this in the letters I wrote this morning. But for those of you who are not my parents, Elder Adams became ill on Friday and needed extra sleep. I said whatever and was (ashamedly) happy for an excuse to get back in bed after breakfast. Same thing on Saturday except when the iPad arrived in the mail, he was miraculously healed. I'm pretty sure the letter he got with it said, "By the authority of Steve Jobs, which I hold, be thou healed." **If that's sacrilegious or something make sure to edit that out when this gets distributed** 

We had to, effectively, drop our alcoholic investigator last night. Sad day :( He has always been enthusiastic and excited, but won't read the Book of Mormon or his ARP handbook. When we ask him why, he just says that "Life's been hectic and blah blah" and it made me sad. I don't know why his faith is lacking, but he just won't do it. We gave him a blessing on Wednesday I think, and it was super good and powerful, but it won't be in effect until he takes a teensy step of faith. So last night we stopped by, explained that we'd love to teach him more, but we can't (when he's half drunk is the real reason) if he's not willing to do his part. We told him to call us as soon as he reads, but we just can't take the time every day to go visit him if he isn't trying. Sad day =/

Our work has become progressively less and less effective, and it bothers me. There are things that I need to improve on, but hopefully talking with President Shumway soon will resolve the issues. Or at least be a step in the right direction. 

Anyway. Happy things. Oh! I bought a box of thin mints from a Girl Scout at the grocery store. I don't think her mother liked me, she just sort of glared, but I was super nice. Ha! Take that! And they were delicious. I even put a sleeve in the freezer and FORGOT about it for like 3 days and had a little self party when I found them. It was fabulous. Then Mom sent me two more BOXES and I about died. What beats a package of Girl Scout Cookies?

I discovered that Corn Bread is one of my favorite things ever this week. Apparently it's called Johnny Cake when it's sweet or something, so I guess Johnny Cake is one of my favorite things, but oh man. This wonderful Sister in the ward made us yummy beans with ham and a thing of cornbread. Elder Adams didn't get any, but that's his own fault cause he's a slowpoke. It was out for like three days. And then when I finished it, we had dinner at another members house and SHE MADE CORNBREAD. This time it had little bits of corn (aka heaven) in it and I was very happy. 

I'm really sad that most of the happy things are about food. That's bogus. Now I have to think of a happy thing that is about the Gospel. Oh! Zone Conference. That was really good. I hate when we have to do role playing, especially when it's with people I don't know and they pretend to be mean investigators. But the in between stuff where I didn't have to do anything but listen was great. Sister Shumway told us to eat healthy, and I felt bad at first, but then I felt poor. President Shumway read my weekly letter at the pulpit though! I was slightly embarrassed, but also proud. It said:

The first day in the field was great!

We've been working really hard and we've got one new investigator, and at least one other potential. A lot of walking though. We walked about twelve miles total on Friday just to go visit Casey, our new investigator, because we didn't have a ride. I was very tired. Everything else is going great so far, and as of now I have nothing else to report on.

Yours,
Elder Drake


But then Elder iPad started using it as a way to make people feel slightly guilty about not giving us rides. I wanted to stab him, cause that's not what I meant at all, but then I realized that the chapel is not for stabbing, so I just asked him to stop like a grown-up would. I think he was about to cry though. Like honestly. Quivering chin and everything. I might lose it. Apparently he had a rough morning, but I'm not sure why. 

I'm reading the New Testament right now, and I like it a lot. I finished Matthew the other day and am now in Mark. It's good stuff. I've never really sat down and taken the time to read it. I switched from Jesus the Christ to The New Testament because my soul delighteth in plainness. You know a book is hard to read when you'd rather read the Bible. 

Oh! Another happy food thing. My district went to Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch this week. It was delicious. But then one of the district leaders didn't want to tip so I felt bad and left a good tip. I figure I'll get it back in blessings or something though. 

Cheers to you all! I love you to death. I wish I could stay here all day and just write and write and write, but Elder Adams is getting ants in his pants again I think. Stay tuned for next week's exciting conclusion to the iPad drama!

Love,
Elder Christopher Drake

Inspirational quote of the week:
"Life is too short to wear Crocs.

No comments:

Post a Comment