Monday, September 9, 2013

Of Trailer Parks and Waterfalls

Another good week here in Arkansas. I don't really feel like I can say I ever have a bad week though. Yeah some days stink, but overall I don't think the weeks are bad. They are fast though. I'm going to be six months out at the end of this transfer, that's crazy. Today I was talking to Elder Aubry trying to figure out Spanish and we couldn't figure it out, so I just said, "We'll ask Elder Lee next time we see him (the Spanish speaking Elder in our district), oh wait, he's training a greenie isn't he?"
I was happy because I got to call somebody else a greenie. It felt like the second week in the MTC when I got to say "Welcome to the MTC!" to all the missionaries with the orange dot on their tags. Or sort of like when I was an eighth grader instead of a seventh grader. It's like I'm so much more mature, but really I'm not. It's still a good feeling though.
I need to keep better track of who I tell you guys about. I think I talked about the Renners already, but I'm not sure. If I haven't, they're a part member family, Matt the husband is not active in the Church, and his wife is not a member (but she almost was at one point I guess). They came to church last week, but didn't this last Sunday. I was sad. Oh and none of our other investigators came to church either, and we were saddened. Next week though. There's always next week.
We had the stupidest Independence Day (Elder Aubry insists it be called by it's proper name instead of "The 4th of July" because he's too conservative)  of my entire life. Holidays are bogus as a missionary. At 9 we had to be at our apartment, and we couldn't see the fireworks from our home, but we could hear them. We practiced our golf swings with wiffle balls in hopes that we'd get to see some, but went to bed disappointed. The highlight of the day was teaching an inactive man who wants to get back into the church. We will call him Robert. Robert was drunk or otherwise inebriated when we arrived but seemed very appreciative of our visit, and he did come to church on Sunday. Sometimes it's hard not to judge people (especially when they smell like alcohol and have a girl in a bikini tattooed on their forearm) but the most important thing to keep in mind is that he is a Son of God and deserves just as many second chances as we all do. Our job isn't to judge, it's to bring people closer to Christ. He stayed for all three hours, and people were very friendly to him, which was a relief!
We went on a hike today with a less active, and boy he had been talking it up like none other. It was about 3 1/2 miles long, and a little steep at parts, but I would much rather hike this trail than the Y in Provo. There was a waterfall at the end, and even though it was barely trickling, it was still really cool. I have attached a picture of me and mostly the waterfall. It was huge! I can't imagine how cool it is during the heavy rain season.
I'll attach the picture later, I never take my camera with me because I'm a bum, but I made Elder Aubry take a picture for me.
I miss you all a lot, and can't wait to see you guys!
Love, 



Elder Christopher Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment