Monday, September 9, 2013

How to Cope With Not Being a Rockstar



Elder Beddes is gone!

Happy/sad day. It's really weird being here in Harrison without him. On one hand, my new companion, Elder Aubry, likes to plan and pray in the morning, get up on time, and actually discuss the things that we have planned for the day; on the other, he's not a rock star that I can just kind of hide behind and let do all the work under the pretense of "he's my trainer, he should train me how to do these things, not just do them." So it's a good change all around, but I don't like being out of my comfort zone. It's weird.
Most of the week was spent saying goodbye to people, which meant I spent a lot of time as the official photographer. It was kind of funny when everybody would say "The ward is really going to miss you here, Elder Beddes, you were truly an asset." and then they would remember that I was standing right there and say something like "And we'll be saying the same thing to you when you leave here, Elder Drake." I got a kick out of it. to be honest, it was  hard for a couple days. I was scared about taking over the area, having a new companion, and felt super unprepared and inadequate. After a while I decided that I was going to try and be a better missionary than Elder Beddes was here.
Then I realized that was stupid. Pride will getcha. After thinking about that for a little while, I decided that I was just going to try and be the best missionary that I could be the best way I know how. If the people here chase me out of the ward with pitchforks and torches, that's just fine as long as I can look back and say, "I tried as hard as I could to be the best missionary I could be in that ward."
We had a lot of fun at the Fredlunds (our ward misison leader) on Wednesday. Their second youngest, Aiden, (he's the one who loved Elder Beddes and calls him 'Bebbes') must be convinced that when it is somebody's birthday you say, "Happy Dodo!" Instead of "Happy Birthday!". If you go up to him and say, "Aiden, happy birthday!" he whispers back, "Happy dodo." as if he was trying to correct you politely. If you keep it up for long enough, he'll yell it at you and it's the best thing ever. Man, I love that kid. For a while I thought he had named me "Gonkin" because that's what he calls me, but then he called Elder Aubry "gonkin" today. I almost cried.
Thursday was transfer day. It was really good, but weird too. Brother Foster gave us a ride up there and back. He got to see Elder Gulbranson who was Elder Beddes's companion when he was baptized. It was a great experience for him I think. I got to see a few people I knew from the MTC which was reeeaally nice. It's weird and hard being new because it seems like everybody knows everybody and I know nobody, but I got a chance to feel like I knew somebody and it rocked. One of the Sisters was there and I got to tell her all about Elder iPad and my adventures and hear about all her adventures. It was a lot of fun. Our trip back home was even better though.
On our way back home, Brother Foster was talking to us and trying to get to know Elder Aubry a little better. He then told us his conversion story and it was probably one of the sweetest most spiritual testimonies that I've ever heard. It almost made me cry. He talked about how he had gone to church for years and years with his wife, but every time the missionaries came over to teach it just felt like he was listening to them because his wife or his daughter wanted them to. Then one day in Sunday school he had a really strong impression that he needed to go talk to the missionaries. He kind of just stopped mid-sentence and stared straight at the road. Then I realized he was all choked up and really close to tears. It was really powerful for me. Here's a guy that's been a park ranger outdoorsy Alaskan boat captain/fisherman for over 60 years, brought to tears by an impression given to him through the Holy Ghost. It really struck me that this gospel changes people. I'm not out here to baptize people and get 20 lessons a week with around 60% of those having a member with us, I'm out here to help bring people closer to Christ so that they can feel the same thing that Brother Foster felt that day in Sunday school.
The following days have been pretty good, and Elder Aubry is basically everything that Elder Beddes wasn't, in some good ways and some bad ways. I think I'm really going to enjoy being his companion and once we get in the groove of things, I think that we'll be a really good companionship.

I love you all and hope you're doing awesome! I love hearing about all the little things that you guys do, even if it's just mowing the lawn. I wish you guys the best and can't wait to see you all again when my work is finished.
Love,  
Elder Christopher Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment