Monday, September 9, 2013

Adventures in Mountain Home!

Hello there family! How was your Easter? Mine was fantastic. It was filled with food, but mostly candy. A lot of candy. It's like being in the MTC again. Good thing I have two years to get skinny.
So. This week. What a week. 'Twas a good week. So two Wednesdays ago, we had exchanges set up so that I would be in Mountain Home on Wednesday (the 27th). On Monday, Bobba (my Grandpa, for those of you who don't know.) sent me an e-mail saying,

"Your district probably doesn't go as far East as Mt. Home, does it? My sister and her husband, Lola & Ralph Bailes, live there. If you ever get over there, which I doubt, be sure to look them up."
I was instantly super excited. He gave me their address and so I printed it out that night. On Wednesday we had district meeting till about noonish or so. I played the piano and was awful but awful piano is better than a cappella, right? After district meeting, Elder Ostler (the Mountain Home elder) and I hopped in the car and headed off.
As soon as we got there, I wanted to go see Ralph and Lola. The e-mail was burning a hole in my suit pocket. We had a couple other things set up, so we didn't get there until around four or so. We knocked on the door and nobody answered. We knocked again and rang the door but still nobody home. I was sad. So we decided to tract the neighborhood.
It was my first time tracting! I know right? Almost two months out and I'd never been tracting! I thought it was funny. I did okay. It was nervousing though. People are very nice here, but not many are interested. We did pick up a potential investigator up the street. His name is Pat, and he is a very nice man. He fought in the Vietnam war and is Catholic. We talked a little, gave him a Book of Mormon and set a return appointment. I'm excited to see what happens with him.
So Elder Ostler and I putzed around to a few other appointments and then our dinner cancelled on us. I was happy because it meant that I had a few more hours to get over and hopefully meet the Bailes. Finally around six o'clock we got over there again. I knocked on the door and Lola answered. I wasn't exactly sure what to say, because I'm used to being Mr. Elder Missionary man.
"Hi!," I said. "Um, I'm Melvin Drake's grandson!" then we were best friends.
So we talked with Lola  and Ralph for a while and it was basically super awesome getting to know a Great Aunt and Uncle whom I'd never met before. Then Ralph offered to take us out to dinner! We were both super happy because our dinner cancelled on us. They took us to this super delicious place that kind of reminded me of The Jetty back home. It was kind of weird but awesome sitting and eating Catfish and Chips with my Great Aunt and Uncle in a restaurant much like the same place I eat with my Nana and Bobba back home.
So basically coolest week ever. I hope that I get to serve in Mountain Home again so I can stop by some more. Oh! Wait. One more thing. I took a picture next to a painting done by Uncle Walter in their house, because I thought it was also pretty trippy. Plus I didn't know Uncle Walter painted. But then when I got back to the apartment I realized I didn't take a picture with my Aunt and Uncle.

-_-
I felt like an idiot. So, Ralph and Lola, I'm sorry if that came across as rude. Sometimes I'm a dummy. Next time I'm out there I'll make sure to get a picture with you guys because you are awesome.
SO! Onward to missionary-like things.

The Powers are poking along pretty well. I'm very excited for their baptism which will be sometime in mid-April. They really seem to love coming to church and enjoy our lessons. I can always feel the Spirit really strongly, and the difference it's made in their lives already is apparent. They say that other people outside of Church notice it too, which is also awesome.
There's a very old Sister in our ward that is a bit senile, which makes me sad. We visit her three or four times a week and she's always talking about moving out of her assisted living home, but she really can't. She actually called this morning and asked us to bring her some packing tape and that she talked to the main office and told them she is leaving. It will be interesting when we go over there. She's a very talented painter, and her artwork is beautiful, she's just a little loopy.
Keep us all in your prayers, and keep the mail coming! An empty mailbox means a sad missionary.
Love y'all,

Elder Christopher Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment