Monday, September 15, 2014

There Goes the Sun

A pretty interesting week this week. Let's walk through it. 

Monday - English Class, regular Preparationy day things. Salem elders came up to look for a stove for one of their members. I got a sweet blue knit tie. I'm thinking about resolving to only wear bowties and knit ties when I get home. I'm not sure. I'll keep you posted on that. 

Tuesday - Bike-a-palooza. Well, not any more than normal. And actually, we got a ride up to Cuba, about 15-20 minute drive away. We contacted some referrals from other missionaries. Dawn and Quinton. They are pretty awesome. I just wish they didn't live so far away. They pretty much said they wanted and were ready to be baptized, so that's cool. The funny thing is that Elder Baxter gave us the referral for Dawn. So that will make two Dawns Elder Baxter has sent over to me in two different areas. Crazy coincidence? Or maybe there's a grassy knoll somewhere....

Anyway. Around 5 o'clock we're at the snow cone shack, it's kinda cold, but it was the last week for snow cones, so we got them anyway. We're talking to Brooklyn and then the Thunder starts. "No worries," we think, "Tommy just lives over that huge hill and we'll be okay, I'm sure of it." So then Brooklyn gets a call, "Hey, so Spencer just told me that it's pouring at Wal-Mart" Long story short, a few copies of the Book of Mormon, some pamphlets, and my planner are completely trashed. All well. The good news is Brother Boehme picked us up, fed us, and we got to play some games with the fam. So that worked out. It was a good day.

Wednesday - District Meeting. Rocked some role-plays. Had some good lunch. Went on exchanges with Robotic Zone Leader Elder Hughes. Well actually we tri-panionshipped it. That was good. We got a few referrals. He's just not the most personable kid. Very tunnel missionary work vision - which is awesome, I wish I was more like that, just hard to relate to. 

Thursday - Regular old Thursday. We taught some peeps, taught some more English, you know the drill. The Assistants came to town to do exchanges with the Zone Leaders, and get some dental work done by Brother Boehme. So of course we were invited over to the Boehmes for dinner and games. Again. Which was awesome. 

Friday - Friday was the Caroline fiasco. Let me tell you about that. So around...5 or 6 o'clock we get this text from an investigator that says basically, "Hey I spent all my money moving into this new place and don't have any food and haven't eaten in three days because I'm feeding my kid please help." So we talk to the Relief Society President who talks to the bishop. Ward can't help at the moment. Okay cool, that's fine. Luckily Elder Drake has a little reserve fund he's willing to part with if it means a meal for a few people that haven't eaten in three days. We have our dinner appointment drive us to Walmart so we can do some shopping. We get all the stuff that we think will be good and ask Caroline for her address. No response. We wait a bit and walk around Walmart. Try again. No answer. Give her a call. No answer. So we wait about 15 more minutes, and try again. Nothing. We say a prayer that basically goes, "Hey, so we have done basically about everything we know how to do. We're willing to help out, we know she's your daughter, and we know you're taking care of her. If you want us to help her tonight, we're willing just let us know what to do." We don't hear anything, so we put the stuff back. At this point it's about 8:30. So I bought a package of Oreos and we walked home, telling riddles on the way home. Don't worry though, we talked to some members on Sunday that know Caroline and she should be taken care of. Apparently the situation wasn't as desperate as it seemed. I don't know about you, but if I hadn't eaten in three days and someone was offering to buy me groceries I would be glued to my phone. Being a missionary is weird, man. 

Saturday - Rainy again. I may be developing trenchfoot. No, that's a joke, my feet are fine. Maybe a little stinky though. My regular biking ugly good shoes got soaked in that rainstorm so I've been rocking the thrift store totally awesome shoes that I've absolutely beaten to death. I'm so proud of them. I might put them up somewhere in my room when I get home. When I was in Stockton they had a blowout and I could wiggle my toes out the side, but some shoe-goo fixed that. I'm sure that my poor mother is horrified at the prospect of her son wearing "shoes" that are so beat up, but I love them more than anything. They're a great crowd pleaser too. Everyone likes the brown shoes with holes in them. 

We saw Ira, our black friend. He's great. He comes to church every week. We're not sure if he's comprehending everything, or if he really cares, but he comes to church every Sunday and we sit with him and he's awesome. We saw some other peeps. I got my letter from my Mommy which always makes my week better, and then we got a text from Brooklyn Boehme. "Hey, we're playing a really fun game, do you want to come over?" So we contacted a referral then played a game at the Boehmes! 

Sunday - Church of course. Peeps. Oh, cool story. We helped Christine, a recent convert with her Family History. She's way into it. And good at it. We found a bunch of her grandparents, some great-grandparents, and even got to tap into somebody else's tree a little ways back, that was way cool. She almost cried! The Spirit was strong. Go do your Family History! 

We saw Roni Ryce with a priest in the ward. I thought maybe Roni would be a little toned down with a priest there, but I was sure wrong. I think Roni is just one of those guys who is Roni no matter where he is. He's big and loud and a little foul and just Roni. He's been a member since the 80s but has been spotty in coming to church. One of them "good ol' boys" and we love him. 

Then we went to the Boehme's again for P-day eve. Boehme-palooza this week. It's like having a family away from home, so that's nice. Sister Boehme is wicked good at Boggle too. Just so you know. 

Anyway. 

It's cold. I'm officially sporting the sweater. And I've officially left it at a member's house once already. It's a good start to the winter of my discontent. 

Who's ready for summer?

Love alls yalls!

Elder Christopher Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment