Monday, September 8, 2014

September 8th

Dearest Fam, 

Elder Harding and I have had a good week. We're still getting used to the whole bike thing. I'm still not a fan, but it's got it's perks. Now we have an excuse to ask the members to come out with us and help us teach. It also didn't hurt how many people we saw this week, but it did hurt my butt. 

I'm no longer scabby goat, hallelujah. 

Elder Harding and I rode down some hills on our bikes because we're way hardcore like that. We also rode up some hills, but I'd rather not talk about that. The really good news is that since I've been walking and biking I've gained weight. So that's cool. Apparently exercise = fat? I could have sworn Coach Gabrys told me the opposite in Freshman P.E.... 

We had an awesome lesson with the Williams on Tuesday. We taught the Plan of Salvation and I got to use my most favorite visual aid that I got for my birthday from Sister Shumway, complete with the little girl that has a spirit and a physical body. They got a kick out of that. Both Betsy and Carly are pretty shy, that's mom and daughter, but they're coming to church and we're talking about a date, so I'm pretty excited about them.

We also had an awesome Zone Training Meeting on Tuesday, which was the day of Sister Vea's funearl. Apparently the guy who was driving the van was the guy who took Elder Allred and I down to Greenwood. Crazy. It was a good service. The Spirit was strong. 

Let's see. 

You know, I learned a lot last night at the Boehme's, they're this member family we see just about every Sunday. So he picks us up from our apartment, and explains to us that Bishop Burdette wasn't able to come tonight, so he invited Robert. Now, Robert is an interesting specimen. My thoughts at first were, "Are you sure you really want him around your kids?" That kind of stuff. Robert is this less-active guy who is on probation for robbing a convenience store with a BB gun and wants to be in the marines and his wife just went to jail for animal abuse, but that's a whole nother mess. Long story short, she's probably innocent, but asked her drug addicted brother-in-law to watch her dogs while they went somewhere and they ended up not being watched, believe it or not. So technically, she's guilty haha. 

Anyway,  it all turned out okay and it was good and stuff. Then I was thinking about it, and it was just a really really good example of Charity, as in the pure love of Christ. Here's Robert, a guy you see, get to know, and eventually come to the conclusion, "There is really nothing that I can do for this guy. We can try, but it's all on him. I don't know if he's even capable of getting anywhere." I sure don't like going over to visit, but that's more because he doesn't treat us with respect, but still. I don't like sitting in the scary hotel room around the smell of dog feces, you know? Gross. 

But I think we all tend to get like that sometimes, and probably need to stop it. It's easy to get all boxed up in your little world and sphere of friends, and not do little things for people who really need it. So go invite somebody a little bit scary or weird over for dinner and a game of spicy farkle, okay? 

Also, I thought I'd share this conversation I observed between Brother and Sister Boehme,

Sister Boehme: "....Do you even know what Dulce de Leche is?"
Brother Boeheme: "Uh yeah," (aside to the missionaries, mouthing the words, "I have no idea) "Two milks. Duh." 

I got a kick out of that. Good times. 

Love yallses.  
Elder Christopher Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment