Monday, October 27, 2014

October 27th

Howdy Fam, 

It's been a good week. It's always a good week. I don't think there are many bad weeks on a mission. And bad days only last until you can sit down and talk to someone about the gospel, so most days don't stay bad for too long. 

Betsey Williams is getting baptized this week. On Halloween. Which is Friday. Which is cool. We're excited. We tried to teach Christian, the seven year old, the Restoration on Tuesday. We even got those red and green cardboard bricks and built a great church and Christian knocked it down and built his own church. That didn't enthuse him too much though. He did have fun with the blocks, but there was a lot of "mhm"-ing going on. People that are young and shy are hard to teach the gospel to. Especially when they're not used to going to church and stuff. The good news is Mom is going to be baptized and it'll all end up great like a story book or something. Eventually. We'll be sure to send some good baptism pictures. 

It's Halloween this week. Weird. 

On Wednesday we had exchanges with the Zone Leaders. I was with Elder White With Gauges. He was baptized about three years ago, thus the large holes in his ears where gauges were previously present. Elder White with Gauges was a little more quiet than I had anticipated him to be in lessons, but that was probably because I had to fly by the seat of my pants a lot. People are flaky here. 

Oh that reminds me. 

On Wednesday we had district meeting. On the way there, I reached up to get my Tiwi card to log into our Big Brother driving monitoring thing. As of late I've been keeping it in the sun visor, in the little slidey mirror part, for convenience. Well it decided it wanted to stick to the little plastic piece that slides. And got stuck. Then after trying to fanangle it out, it fell into the visor. Tweezers were unable to retrieve it, and I need the card....So the sun visor is no longer. I had to make an embarrassing call to the Vehicle Coordinator and then open the sun visor. And when I say open, I mean Elder Smuin took it from me and literally broke it in half. 

That was pure wild animal craziness. 

 Luckily I found a replacement for cheap. The dealer wanted seventy bucks! No way Jose. 

The good news is they had an FR-S on the lot which I asked to sit in and I fit. 

Sort of. 

Some other highlights of the week:

Dinner at the Shaos which means really yummy Chinese food and other interesting dishes. The interesting dish of the week was "Fruit Salad Soup" which was essentially hot fruit salad from a can. It was surprisingly good. That actually was a recipe from our ward's recipe club, I think. I can't see that being a common Chinese dish. They also made me this ginkgo tea stuff because my allergies have mad e my nose stuffy. It tasted way good, but was probably around 170 degrees and I had to drink it to be polite. My tongue was burnt for a few days. 

Oh the woodcutting project! 

On Saturday some youth and Elders went to Roni's and cut wood. A lot of it. Roni had back surgery and is basically crippled and needs the help so we got the ward to help. 

The leaders here are not very organized sometimes, which is amusing. We get there, and there are a two different places he needs to work. The first station is splitting a pile of wood with his hydraulic splitter. The second station is down the road about half a mile to where there's a big fallen tree that needs to be sectioned, split, and hauled. There were....something like 6 adults there and 6 or seven adults. Four of the adults say, "We'll stay here with the splitter." Oh and those four adults were also the biggest. So Elder Harding, about 3/4 of the youth, the two tiny adults, and I all go down to cut up this big tree with chainsaws and split by hand. Then the deacons got their hands on chainsaws and nobody says anything. That was a little stressful. 

The good news is nobody got hurt. 

That was the week folks. Chainsaws, Chinese Food, and Church. Plenty of shenanigans. 

The YSA group is going well. Still not many people out, but we have a new investigator who is YSA age and we're going to try to convince him to come next week to try it out. He came to family ward this week which was super duper. 

Okay. 

That's all. 

Keep it Up.

Elder Christopher Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment