Monday, August 25, 2014

Transfer Week! Also Engrish Class!

Hey Fam, 

Elder Hegsted is being transferred to Fayetteville and I am staying here in Roll. My new companion is Elder Harding and I don't think I know anything about him. The good news is I get the big bed now. I'll keep the smaller closet in the office though, because I'm just that nice of a guy. 

The bad news is that we ran out of toilet paper last night, so now I have to buy it. How lame is that? If you thought buying that kind of stuff is annoying in real life, try buying it on a mission. "Well I like nice toilet paper, but I like eating with my missionary friends more...I can't buy in bulk because who knows how long I'll stay here....but I'll probably need more than 6 rolls...well, I don't know how much my new companion will use it up. Maybe he gets chronic nosebleeds."

hashtag missionary problems. 

Well, I don't know how many of you heard about Sister Vea, but I feel like it's appropriate to mention her. A sister in our mission was involved in a car accident this week, and she passed away on Friday. I don't know any of the missionaries that were involved in the accident, and I'm on the other side of the mission, so I'm doing okay. I can't imagine how difficult this kind of thing is for the sister's family, President and Sister Shumway, the missionaries involved and around her, and the member that was driving. We don't know all of the details, but we do know a little bit. Please keep her and all of those people in your prayers. It's times like these that I'm grateful for, and take comfort in the Plan of Salvation. 

Now on to happy things. 

On Tuesday we went on an exchange with the Salem Elders. I was with Elder Hatch, who I very much enjoyed being with. We taught some sweet lessons, connected with some sweet members/less-active members and watched "Hope of God's Light" a lot. It's one of the newer Mormon Messages. Good stuff. 

Wednesday we had Zone Conference which was awesome and uplifting as always. That lasted about all day because it was in Springfield. Oh! We sang. Elder Hegsted volunteered us when we had interviews with President. Well, originally he volunteered himself and Elder Densley and when he said to me, "I'm planning on honing your piano skills," I said, "No you are not." But then I felt bad because they were kind of hopeless and didn't have anybody to play. So I chose the song and sang while I played piano. Billy Joel/Elton John style. I don't know if it actually sounded any good, but I only messed up the piano once. So that was awesome. 

I've discovered that there are fewer things more entertaining than charming really old ladies in rest homes. They're so friendly and nice! We do crosswords out loud with them ever Friday and they basically love us and think we're the best. I sang a few bars of some Johnny Cash songs that were in the puzzle. I basically feel like a celebrity. Then I go into the real world where I'm chubby and a Mormon missionary that people don't want to listen to. Well that's another weird thing. People either love the missionaries or really don't like us. That's a topic for another day I suppose, though. 

Friday was a sort-of recent convert's birthday. We go see her all the time because her apartment complex is full of people that aren't Mormon that are all friends. It's kind of the low class deal. Like, a step above (or maybe below) a trailer park. Okay, it's like the city version of a trailer park. Good good people, just rough around the edges. And maybe a little in the middle too. It's like those people that never quite grow up, but are grown and have kids, yknow? Anyway. Amy, this recent convert, is awesome. And she also loves Betty Boop. We hunted and hunted for Betty Boop stuff, but apparently it's hard to get these days. Finally we found a Betty Boop purse for like 15 bucks at a cute little consignment/thrift sort of shop. She loved it and we're basically awesome. Side bonus: At goodwill, some guy with really good taste must have died or something. I scored 12 bowties and a bag of cufflinks for super cheap. It was AWESOME. 

We had an awesome lesson with Tommy this week too. He's on parole, so it will be a while before he's baptized, but it is so cool to see how strongly people can feel the Spirit. I love it. There is really nothing better than seeing somebody embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ and watch it change their lives. How cool is that? It's the best. 

We had a bunch of people at church again this week. Most of them are pretty independent and know what's going on, but it's still a little bit crazy for those who are newer and need some more help. We taught Gospel Principles this week because it was on missionary work so that was awesome too. We rocked it. 

Okay peeps. I love you bunches. Had a good week. GO have a good week! 

Love y'allses, 

Elder Christopher Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment