Monday, May 12, 2014

May 12th

Okay so first things first:
Elder Allred forgot to grab the little USB thingy so no pictures this week :( I know you were all looking forward to seeing that horrible tiger but it seems that we'll all have to wait another week. It's kind of what they're doing to us with iPads. "End of 2013!...Early Spring!...Okay, maybe June!..."

It was awesome getting to see the fam for Mother's day. I miss you guys. It's always hard to say goodbye. I don't know how missionaries manage to stay within the time limit.

This week was good but a little slower than ususual, so that's kind of a bummer. We do have a couple new people to teach though, and that's awesome. One of them, Lacy, has come to church twice!

We had a Zone Outing today over in Springfield, which was a lot of fun. We had a barbecue, hung out in a park, and some people played sports and all that jazz. I opted to play cards with some missionaries because I'm not all sporty like that. Doesn't help with the whole chubby thing. 

It rained today. Actually it's raining right now. A lot. We got some good thunder and lightning and all that stuff. The weather out here is cool. But like everybody else says, "If it weren't for the bugs and the humidity..."

Speaking of bugs, the "Elder Drake Tick Count" is up to 2. Thanks to the twenty tick fiasco of 2013 I no longer have to get the Vaseline or a match and spend 20 minutes trying to get it to back out, I just pull them out WITH MY BARE HANDS. I'm so hardcore now. 

Oh Happy Mother's day to all of the wonderful women who have been a mother to me. A huge shout out to my real mother, because she's the best ma in the world and I know all y'alls are jealous. 

This week was kind of uneventful. Well, all except an awesome zone conference we had. I want to share one thing from it, actually. President Shumway pretty much spoke the whole time. He talked about how we need to work on pride, and a bunch of other stuff that we need to work on. At the end of the conference he told us about his experience in a Mission President's training he had recently. Elder Bednar was there, and he told us about this experience he had. The other authority that was there opened the floor for questions, and President Shumway told us about his question.

He told us,  "A while ago, I got a message on my phone from Tiwi (our driving monitoring system) that reported one of my missionaries was driving over 100 miles per hour. I called the missionary and asked him, 'How fast are you going?'  

"'Too fast.'  he replied. The worst part about all of this was that there were five other missionaries in the car. My question was, 'How should I have handled that situation differently if I could have?'

"Elder Bednar responded, 'You go back and tell that missionary, and tell all of your missionaries, that if they can't learn to make the right choices when they're in that sort of environment, surrounded by other missionaries, then they are not going to be able to make it in the real world when they get home because it is going to get a lot worse.'"

My paraphrasing probably doesn't do it justice, but it was powerful. Apostolic warning that we need to be clinging to the Iron Rod of which Lehi spoke. We can't get away with nonchalantly placing a hand on the way back to God, but we have to cling on with everything we have, otherwise we'll never make it. 

Cling to the rod people! 

Love you bunches. I promise I'll get you those pictures next week! 

Love,  

Elder Christopher Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment