Monday, December 1, 2014

Kids Say the...Rudest Things

Howdy Folks. 

Week two here in Jopling. 

Let's start off with two amusing stories. 

Elder Reed and I went to contact a investigator that sort of disappeared for a while. Her name is Barbara. So we knock on the door, and Barbara is super friendly. She couldn't meet with us right then but we talked for a minute on her porch. Then this little girl, maybe five or six years old or so comes running up to the door, opens it, sticks her head out, and with a big grin on her face says, "You guys are a**holes!" and then runs back inside the house. Barbara was super embarrassed, it wasn't her kid, gratefully. It was actually her renter's kid. Who is a stripper. Missions are funny. It wasn't the first time a kid has been rude to me on my mission though. Once in Harrison, when I was serving with Elder Aubry, we went tracting. We walked up a street and this little girl on a Big Wheel rides up to us and says "Hey you guys are weirdos!" and then followed us around the neighborhood singing, "Weirdos, weirdos!" and then when we would try to talk to her she would scream "YOU GUYS ARE WEIRDOS!" She followed us until Elder Aubry and I decided to walk up a reasonably steep hill. She gave up about halfway. Another time in Bentonville some 11 year old kid on a bike pretended to hit Elder Reese and I and as he rode away made rather rude and quite false comments about our sexual orientation that are perhaps a little too vulgar to repeat. 

Kids are rude, man.

We had an eventful week though. Oh yeah, it was Thanksgiving! Happy Thanksgiving everyone! 

Anyway. I went on exchanges Tuesday with Elder Day in Fort Scott, Kansas. I didn't think to ask if I was going to be in a bike area or not and sure enough, Fort Scott is a bike area. And it was cold. The good news is that I wore my good suit too. Elder Day is basically like Elder Allred. Pretty much a carbon copy, so that was awesome and fun and weird. It was like being in Stockton again,  minus polygamists. However, we did visit a really interesting family of hoarders and during the course of conversation this sweet old lady said, "You know, some of those KKK guys are nice people!" I had a hard time not laughing. 

Wednesday we attended Fort Scott's district meeting. We got a text around 9 or so saying, "Hey Elder Drake, we're gonna be a little late, can you start District Meeting?" So my first District Meeting in about a year that I'm not a District Leader, I have to pretend to be one for the first few minutes anyway. I thought doing all the getting to know you stuff and setting some district goals with them before Elder White, the District Leader got there, but I decided that would be rude. 

Cool Story: A kid prepping for his mission/working on his testimony gave us a ride back from exchanges in Ft. Scott and his truck died a block away from our apartment so we went and saw if he needed a ride or anything. Someone was coming to pick him up, so we headed back. A few minutes later we got a text from him, "Hey after you guys left, I said a prayer and my truck started right up, thanks guys!" So that was cool. 

Thanksgiving: Turkey Bowl in the morning. I was my usual all-star self. At the very beginning I intercepted a pass and scored a touchdown! Then I touched the ball at least two more times after that. I'm basically a super star. Dinner/Lunch was at this super old house that had been spruced up and was all cool. It was built in 1905 or something like that, but they had a sweet awesome kitchen and the food was super duper. I even tried Mincemeat pie. It was pretty good. I prefer Bobba's apple pie though. 

Let's see. 

The rest of the week was pretty standard. We trimmed a tree, heard people talk about the new Star Wars trailer, and all that cool stuff. 

Oh yeah, Wes and Marie from Rolla are supposed to be getting baptized this Saturday, so I'm trying to line up a ride out there. That is proving difficult. Also, trying to get information from the new Rolla elders is like pulling teeth, I swear. A lot of one-word responses, like "Ye". I just want to see my homies get baptized! This is the thanks I get for giving you two, possibly four baptisms? The cusses they are. But it's all good because I can listen to Christmas music, and I just found out that Julian Casablancas has a Christmas song, so that makes me happy. Also, The Killers' "Don't Shoot me Santa" is pretty good. The Carpenters Christmas Portrait has gone through one play already, but I think I'm the only missionary our here who enjoys it. That makes me sad. 

Keep it cool peeps. 

Elder Christopher Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment