Monday, April 28, 2014

April 28th

I just got off the phone with Margaret, one of our investigators. She called to tell us how she had decided last night to read out of the Book of Mormon by the light of her phone. Her book fell open to 3 Nephi and she began to read about the Savior's ministry; especially his instructions on baptism.

Being able to see how the Lord blesses those who desire to follow Him is one of the coolest things about being a missionary. 

This week has been up and down. We've been busy, but slow at the same time. One of those weird weeks where everything seems to indicate that you've been busy and productive but it feels like you've been sitting on your couch watching reruns of Law and Order:SVU eating Cheetos. 

I do have a fun story though. The weather has been crummy. Warm but wet. We were out on the Ranch and had a spare hour with nothing to do and a truck so we went exploring. Then we got stuck in some mud. Luckily we were right by some dude's property and he pulled us out. But only after we spent about an hour trying to save our pride and get ourselves out. Lesson: Don't be prideful and pay attention to where you're driving because it might just be 8 inches of mud and passenger tires on a small truck just don't do. 

How's everybody's dream chasing going? It's weird, because nobody's offered to buy me a race car yet, and it's really starting to irritate me. Progress is so slow! I spent some time thinking about how I wanted to proceed, or rather, how I should proceed. I started with making an effort to more closely follow the rules, then I took some time Sunday morning to pray and ask what I needed to do next. 

No angels yet, but I felt slightly impressed to extend the arm of forgiveness towards a few people. Or at least start the process. Boy, that's hard to do sometimes. Especially since I think I'm always right. 

I read some great talks this morning about forgiving others. There were a couple that I remembered, mostly because of the amazing stories of horrible things that happened to people who still managed to forgive those who had so injured them. Forgiveness is one of those things that I tend to think affects me more in the scope of small things. I've never had anybody do anything horrible or life shattering to me, but I think we've all had a bunch of little offenses thrown our way. Elder Holland said, "There are little clichés that we learn early in our lives. Most of them I hate; some of them I really hate. I think number one on my list is 'Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me.' I hate that. I’ll take sticks and stones any day" 

I've never been beaten with sticks or stones, so I can't really say for sure, but I've seen the damage done by a few words and I think I agree with Elder Holland. 

To me, there's not much worse than knowing that somebody doesn't like you, especially if it's for something you know you've done wrong. And for some reason, the inverse is also true. There's not much worse than trying to forgive someone you don't like for something that they've done to you. 

I find myself often saying things like "Oh, I love the guy, I think he's great, but..." Why the but? Stop talking about buts. Nobody likes a but. Let's drop the buts and start focusing on the good things. 

Have a hard time with that? Me too. Especially with the gossiping part. I think girls and guys gossip differently, but we all do it and we should all stop. I think that's the first step for me, is to stop talking smack about people. 

Quote time? Yeppers. 

President Uchtdorf said, 

"Forgiving ourselves and others is not easy. In fact, for most of us it requires a major change in our attitude and way of thinking—even a change of heart. But there is good news. This “mighty change” of heart is exactly what the gospel of Jesus Christ is designed to bring into our lives.

How is it done? Through the love of God.

When our hearts are filled with the love of God, something good and pure happens to us. We “keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world.”

The more we allow the love of God to govern our minds and emotions—the more we allow our love for our Heavenly Father to swell within our hearts—the easier it is to love others with the pure love of Christ. As we open our hearts to the glowing dawn of the love of God, the darkness and cold of animosity and envy will eventually fade."

Can't argue with that. 

The Addiction Recovery Program should be renamed. Well maybe not. Instead, I think we should overcome our pride and realize that we're all addicted in one way or another. It's all about overcoming the natural man and I love it. Step 8 is about seeking forgiveness.

There is nothing more gangrenous and corrosive than a festering grudge in hearts of men, and there is nothing more cleansing and uplifting than the spirit of forgiveness. 

I love to be forgiven, don't you? I also love when people apologize to me and I have a chance to clean the slate officially. I think we've all offended somebody or been offended by somebody. 

My first step to dream chasing is to let my poor little heart heal up and forgive people. Step 8 will be a big help, methinks. 

President Eyring said, 
"The pavilion that seems to be hiding you from God may be fear of man rather than this desire to serve others. The Savior’s only motivation was to help people. Many of you, as I have, have felt fear in approaching someone you have offended or who has hurt you. And yet I have seen the Lord melt hearts time after time, including my own. And so I challenge you to go for the Lord to someone, despite any fear you may have, to extend love and forgiveness. I promise you that as you do, you will feel the love of the Savior for that person and His love for you, and it will not seem to come from a great distance. For you, that challenge may be in a family, it may be in a community, or it may be across a nation.

"But if you go for the Lord to bless others, He will see and reward it. If you do this often enough and long enough, you will feel a change in your very nature through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Not only will you feel closer to Him, but you will also feel more and more that you are becoming like Him. Then, when you do see Him, as we all will, it will be for you as it was for Moroni when he said: “And now I bid unto all, farewell. I soon go to rest in the paradise of God, until my spirit and body shall again reunite, and I am brought forth triumphant through the air, to meet you before the pleasing bar of the great Jehovah, the Eternal Judge of both quick and dead. Amen.”

Amen to that!

So that's my dream chasing update. Go chase 'em! 

Love yous!
Elder Christopher Drake


PS Pictures. 
This first one is my District. That's Elder VanHouten, me, Elder Sarceno, and Elder Allred. We went asplorin' last Monday. We did not get stuck. 

Second one is Elder Allred and I. 'Nuf said. 

























Here's our lovely stuck truck. We got really dirty. Well I got really dirty. Elder Allred found some basketball shorts to protect his shirt, muck boots, and snow gloves. He got off okay.

Elder Christopher Drake



No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home